Home Selling Tips to Make Your House More Attractive to Buyers
Remember, first impressions count when selling real estate, which is why it is important to make your home stand out. There are several simple and basic things you can to do to sell your home.
Increase Curb Appeal
Landscaping can make a powerful impact to curb appeal. With spring on the way, there are several easy things you can do to make your home appealing from the outside.
1) Mow your yard with diagonal rows to make your yard appear larger.
2) Edge the lawn along driveways and sidewalks. This will show the buyer that you care and pay attention to detail.
3) Transplant tulips or other spring flowers near the walkway or anywhere in the front. Use bright colors, especially yellow because it stimulates happiness. Consider container plants also in groups of three to five and place near the entrance.
Stage your house as a home potential buyers can imagine themselves in. Remove extra furniture that clutters the space and arrange with maximum impact. This is a technique that model homes have been using successfully for many years.
When potential home buyers visit your home, remove all clutter and store out of sight (e.g. children toys from the family room, bills/mail/papers from the den, or make-up/products/appliances from the bathrooms).
Add a Fresh Coat of Paint
Another thing you can do is to paint your walls white (or a neutral color) if they are not already. A fresh coat of paint will make everything look cleaner and white walls let the potential home buyer imagine their own personal style in the home instead of yours. White walls also make every room feel bigger. Avoid dark colors which can discourage a buyer if they do not like the color and makes the room look smaller.
Pay Attention to Details
Remember to do the little things to make your house stand out. Details matter. Here are a few examples:
1) Wash the windows inside and out. Clean all the mirrors.
2) Set out fresh flowers with a clean and inviting smell.
3) Polish hard wood floors to shine and vacuum right before any showing.
4) Offer a shoe mat at the entrance and even an umbrella stand. This will encourage prospective buyers and agents to remove their shoes and help keep your floors looking great.
5) Fluff pillows and put out fresh towels in bright colors. Even consider replacing these items because they are inexpensive and can add interest to a room.